By Patrick Bonin
Branch, LA. – The temperature is rising, the humidity is increasing and the school year is almost done… That means Memorial Day is fast approaching, and summer is right around the corner here in south Louisiana!
Memorial Day will be celebrated this year on Monday, May 28th, and is traditionally seen as the official start of the summer vacation season. The days leading up to that weekend are also a busy time here at Frugé Aquafarms in Branch, La., as crawfish are in high demand when families and friends gather to kick off the summer holidays.
“Crawfish play a big part in people’s holiday plans,” said Mike Frugé, co-owner of Frugé Aquafarms. “Getting the opportunity to sit down and visit at a crawfish boil on Good Friday or Memorial Day is a tradition for many families in south Louisiana.”
Here’s some “Memorial Day Trivia” that you can use to dazzle and amaze your friends while you wait for the crawfish to finish boiling in a few weeks!
- Memorial Day is a day of remembering all of the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.
- It was formerly known as “Decoration Day,” and originated after the Civil War to commemorate fallen Union soldiers. “Memorial Day” was eventually declared the holiday’s official name by Federal law, but not until 1967!
- The first known observance of a Memorial Day-type ceremony was held in Charleston, South Carolina on May 1, 1865 in honor of Union soldiers who died there as prisoners of war.
- Memorial Day is a federal holiday observed annually in the U.S. on the last Monday of May. It kicks off summer, while Labor Day marks its end.
- The Indianapolis 500 has been held on the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend since 1911. The Coca-Cola 600 Sprint Cup Series race has been held later that same day since 1961, and in golf, the Memorial Tournament has been held Memorial Day weekend since 1976.
- The holiday was originally celebrated on May 30th, but Congress passed the Uniform Holidays Bill in 1968, which moved four holidays (including Memorial Day) to a specified Monday to create three-day weekends. That change officially moved the holiday to the last Monday in May each year.
- The National Memorial Day Concert, which is broadcast on PBS and NPR, takes place on the west lawn of the United States Capitol.
Whatever your plans this Memorial Day, everyone here at cajuncrawfish.com hopes you have a safe, fun day relaxing with your family and friends. And in the joy and excitement of summer finally getting here, please take time to remember all of the men and women who have given their lives so that we can be free!