4 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick slices
cajun seasoning, to taste
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups cornmeal, for breading (coarse or stone ground works best)
1/2-1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 lb crawfish tails or 1/2 lb shrimp, cooked
1 cup prepared remoulade sauce, Remoulade Sauce
Ingredients for Remoulade Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 stalk finely chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions for Remoulade Sauce
1. Whisk together all ingredients
2. Cover and chill 1 hour
1. Prepare the Remoulade sauce as per recipe, stir in the crawfish tails or shrimp, reserving several for garnish.
2. If you are using shrimp, chop them so they will be about the size of the crawfish tails or use salad cooked shrimp.
3. Preheat oil in heavy cast iron skillet until it sizzles when sprinkled lightly with water.
4. Season the sliced tomatoes with Cajun seasoning to taste and dust lightly with flour.
5. Please note: If the tomato slices are to heavily covered with flour the cornmeal will not adhere.
6. Dip the slices in the beaten eggs and then coat with cornmeal.
7. Fry in hot oil until browned, turning as needed; about 3 minutes on each side.
8. To serve, place 3 to 4 slices on a serving plate, top with sauce and garnish with reserved crawfish tails or shrimp. Can sprinkle lightly with chopped parsley if desired.