It’s that time of year again. The weather is warming up, the trees are beginning to turn green and the smell of crawfish is in the air. In Southern Louisiana, the distinct scent of boiling crawfish is one of the sure signs that Spring is finally here. Crawfish are a long-standing tradition down here, and we show our love of these crustaceans with festivals throughout the state.
Louisiana isn’t the only state that celebrates the crawfish, however, and there are a number of festivals throughout the United States. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Mudbug Madness in Shreveport, LA – On Memorial Day Weekend, May 21-24, head on over to Shreveport for Mudbug Madness. Voted one of the 100 best events for 2015, Mudbug Madness celebrates all things Louisiana for their 31st year. They must be doing something right.
- Crawfest in New Orleans, LA – On April 18, Tulane University in New Orleans offers up more than 20,000 pounds of Crawfish, music, art, and fun at the Uptown campus for the annual Crawfest. Tickets are only $10 and free for Tulane students, which includes UNLIMITED Crawfish!
- Pensacola Crawfish Festival in Pensacola, FL – Come out and “laissezlesbon temps rouler” from May 4-6 on the beautiful waterfront of downtown Pensacola. With more than 16,000 pounds of live, boiled Crawfish, great music, art, and plenty to do for the kids, the Pensacola Crawfish Festival is great for the whole family!
- Texas Crawfish & Music Festival in Spring, TX – Over two weekends in Old Town Spring, Texas, – April 24-25 & May 1-3 – you can enjoy Country & Zydeco music on two stages, plenty of Crawfish and fun for the whole family. There is even $2 admission Zydeco Fridays. The Texas Crawfish & Music Festival is one not to miss!
- The Louisiana Swamp Thing & Crawfish Festival in Austin, TX – On April 25, 2015 the city of Austin celebrates all things Louisiana with 10 bands, featuring Cajun and Zydeco music, and more than 7,000 pounds of Crawfish. Stay for the day and see what the Louisiana Swamp Thing & Crawfish Festival has to offer!
- Crawfish Music Festival in Biloxi, MS – The Crawfish Music Festival is the most fun you will have…twice! On April 16-19 and then again the following weekend, April 23-26, more than 10,000 people show up to the Crawfish Music Festival in Biloxi for great fun, great music, rides, artists, and of course, Crawfish!
- Gator by the Bay Festival in San Diego, CA – For four days, from May 7 – 10, 2015, the San Diego Bay area pulls out all the stops with Zydeco, Blues, dancing and more than 10,000 pounds of Crawfish! Put on in part by the Louisiana Office of Tourism, the Gator by the Bay festival is the “most Fun You’ll Find This Side of the Bayou”.
- Gumbo Ya Ya in Rock Island, IL – Catch the spirit of the French Quarter as they celebrate in downtown Rock Island, Il in the District! Cajun foods, Cajun music, and of course a lot of Crawfish make Mardi Gras in the District a great time every year! This year’s Gumbo Ya Ya takes place June 12 & 13.
Have any other crawfish festivals you think we missed? Leave a comment below and let us know!